Your living room is a very important space. It is here that your family spends the most time together and also where most of your guests will be entertained. Hence, choosing furniture that creates a pleasant, welcoming appearance as well as withstands the wear and tear of everyday life is paramount to designing a living room that is both attractive and functional.
You can start by Picking Pieces
- Start with the basics. Most living rooms contain a sofa, armchair, side table, and coffee table. Look for these basic elements before adding extra pieces such as ottomans and additional tables.
- Buy investment pieces. Look for solid furniture with sturdy wood frames and sinuous steel springs. High-quality pieces may cost a little more, but they tend to hold up better and last longer
- Look for high-quality, stain-resistant fabrics. Luxurious, high-quality materials will keep you feeling more comfortable and tend to last longer than cheaper fabrics. Stain-resistant fabrics are especially useful if you have young children, but they might still be a good idea even if you only plan on using the space for guests since spills and stains can happen to anyone.
- Look for cushions made of wrapped foam. Foam is comfortable and durable. Some cushions may be filled with down, but down usually breaks and wears quickly.
- Test the strength of the frame. Lift one leg of the piece about six inches (15 centimeters) off the floor. If the adjacent leg has not risen as well, the frame is too flexible and too flimsy.
More on this article in our next post, watch out for picking a living room furniture (part 2) on www.louisvalentino.net/blog