There’s no shortage of wallpaper styles, colors and textures. Decide if you want to cover all walls or if an accent wall would look better in your room design.
The wallpaper style should go with the rest of your décor style. It should flow naturally with the rest of your space. Some examples include:
- Country: A plaid, gingham or country motif pattern may be a good choice for your country décor.
- Glam: The choices for glam wallpaper include embossed, flocked, crystal or glitter embedded or dramatic reflective designs.
- Modern: Select a geometric or abstract pattern for a more modern décor.
- Formal: A formal interior benefits from various elegant wallpaper designs, such as a hand-painted print or damask.
- Casual: Your décor can be enhanced with different patterns, such as a plant, floral or textured print.
The colors you select for an interior wallpaper should be a good match to your window treatments, flooring and furniture.
- You can get the color saturation of a bold paint color by selecting a colored wallpaper with a pattern that’s a few values lighter. This approach gives an elegant touch to a bathroom.
- Choose colors from the color palette of rest of your décor. Repeat one or more of the colors with your wallpaper choice.
- Use the accent color as the main color in your wallpaper to create drama and contrast.
- For a smooth easy transition, repeat the wall paint color as the main wallpaper color.
TYPES OF WALLPAPERS AND THE EFFECT THEY CREATE
Textured Wallpaper for Design Depth
If you’re looking for something to add a layer of texture and greater design depth, opt for a textured wallpaper. Select a grass cloth for a home office, for instance. Choose an accent wall behind the desk or use above a wainscoting or chair rail. In a cozy living room or den design, you might opt for a textured wallpaper, such as grass cloth, embossed or flocked.
Make Rooms Appear Smaller or Larger
The pattern size can make a room appear larger or smaller. Visually decrease the size of a large room by using a large print with a darker background. The pattern and color contrast will give the optical illusion of drawing the walls in closer for a cozier feel to the room. Conversely, depending on the color and pattern, a small patterned wallpaper can make a small room appear larger or a large room appear even larger.
Make Walls Appear Taller and Longer
Horizontal stripes make a wall appear longer while vertical stripes give the illusion of height. You can use wide or narrow stripes, and stripes can be irregular, such as vine or paisley patterned stripes.
WHERE TO USE WALLPAPER
There are all kinds of ways you can use interior wallpaper in your home. You can apply it to every wall in every room or only on an accent wall. Wallpaper can be used to break up a wall space or highlight wall space broken up by built-ins.
At Louis Valentino, we have wallpapers of different colors and designs that will enable you create that look you want. Call 08181888892 or visit our experience centre at Plot 688 Gaduwa Estate road off Oladipo Diya way, Abuja.